27.9.09

buibui buibui rockin' everywhere, rockin' everywhere

Sorry it's been so long since an update. No internet access in Pemba.

Mombasa was very cool. One of the nights part of the group went out dancing. I (and some other people) met up with them later. They said they were at Club Rio and as we walked up it was really loud, looked like a cool place. When we got upstairs and rounded the corner to see the club, it was just a bunch of wazungu dancing together in a circle. It looked so ridiculous I came close to peeing my pants. But eventually I got ahold of myself and joined them looking ridiculous. It was a lovely night of revelry and dancing and boys protecting us from African creepers.

Bus ride to Tanzania then a flight to Pemba. The plane was tiny (13 passengers, I think) and someone got to sit up with the pilot. But honestly, I have had much worse flights in small planes in America. It was really cool and only about 20 minutes, and then we were on an island in the Indian Ocean.

Our hotel, where we stayed one night, was amazing. Great view of the water, quite a big place, good food (real ketchup and GREAT juice). The next day some of us headed to Pemba. Miles and Sam stayed at the hotel, suddenly too sick to do much of anything. I was really worried about Miles, who was the worst, and once we were in Pemba we had no way to get information about the sick people. Two other people ended up leaving the homestay because they were sick.

The homestays were awful, terrible, no good, very bad days. My biggest problem was people laughing at me, no matter what I did, but some of the girls got legitimately harrassed by the men. And we all got proposed to at least four times. There was a lot of sexual harrassment, some physical harrassment and a shit ton (sorry, language) of emotional harrassment. But it was only two days, and we all made it and then had a very long discussion about the problems that had arisen. D Sperling was incredibly apologetic, said this did not happen last time and they were going to fix it. Also, all the sick people are better now. Nobody had to go to the hospital or anything.

We're in Zanzibar now, which is the most touristy place ever. At the moment I am next to some *stupid* British tourists. But at least here we can wear more American clothes and not buibuis and/or khangas. As long as we cover our shoulders and almost our knees, we're good. It's much more comfortable. I also took my hair out of the braids (Thank GOD!) and am happier with that as well.

Five(ish) days in Zanzibar and then back to the Tanzanian mainland for what sounds like an AMAZING time at the coast, snorkeling all day for a week. Hooray biology! Also, after Zanzibar the people who take care of us are some people called the Petersons. I am going to convince them we are related, so Mom and Dad, I need some info on that part of the family. I'm planning to show them we're related and then get a job with them for the rest of my life. Sounds like a very good plan.

We're doing pizza for lunch today!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Your great great grandparents (your mother's father's grand parents) were Hulda (no I didn't spell that wrong) and Carl Peterson. They married at age 13 (that's not a typo either) and traveled steerage from Sweden to the USA were they became successful manufacturers of waistcoats (vests) for men's suits. Unfortunately waistcoats went out of fashion and they lost all of their $ in the Ponzi scheme.

    Tigers came from a 5-0 deficit to beat the White Sox 11 - 5 last night. Great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girl! Eli gave me this link tonight and I voraciously read through your posts. They are amazing! I am so glad you are having a blast, and am terribly sorry the Pemba homestay was horrific. It was extremely awkward and at times disconcerting for us as well. I must have gone to every house in that village to meet people, and have them stare at me like i was some freak of nature, so i feel you. :) Have an amazing time at Pembe Abwe with the Petersons, tell Thad Molly sends her love, and hopes he finds many chameleons on safari. Will you also send Kiliri, Simon, Habibu and Maggie my regards.
    Keep up the amazing posts!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you don't post some pictures you won't have to worry about lions, tigers, and...er, elephants, you'll have to worry about ME killing you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ketchup I had in South Africa was that sweet tomato paste, too! Isn't it weird? Man...

    Hope you're still having a great time!
    ~R~

    ReplyDelete