18.11.09

She felt only that women should be able to make conscious decisions about their lives, if that made her a feminist, she guessed she was one

The Peterson compound has internet for free. I've managed to get on basically whenever I want, which is nice. We haven't been doing incredibly exciting things though, so I've had nothing to update.

Now we are in our homestays. There are advantages (beds, electricity, fantastic food, close to a place I can get Krest Bitter Lemon soda for 500 shillings each) and disadvantages (no showers, no running water, less access to internet). I'm staying in a house with Lila and Devyn (my partners for our independent study) and Nicole and Natalie (who are working with orphans for their independent study).

Life's pretty good. We've been gathering information about family planning via survey and have learned a lot and met some really interesting people. Last night and this morning it was pouring; I biked to the compound for internet this morning and got 1.) soaked and 2.) covered in mud. Plus the road is bumpy and muddy and filled with puddles. It was still kind of fun though.

I've been dataing and interneting all morning, and am about to head back to the homestay for lunch. In the afternoon (it looks like it's stopped raining) we'll go out and give more surveys, which is what Lila and Devyn did this morning.

It's nice to be busy, makes me less homesick. And I'm really interested in what we are studying. But it's still reaching the point where I'm ready to move on. Europe and home and the rest of my life. I think I just get restless if I stay in one place, no matter where it is, too long.

Fun things about our homestay: we have a cat! It curled up on my and purred and everything! We also had puppies for less than 24 hours--Nicole and Natalie each got one from an orphanage, but when they realized how much work they were (and that you couldn't ride a bike and hold a puppy at the same time), they returned them. I named one Jonah and he was adorable and I miss him.

The Petersons are still fantastic--we mostly work with Thad and his wife Robin, but Mike helps out too. Daudi too, though I haven't seen him in forever. Mike reminds me of Ric VanWheelden--sort of mellow and kind and they talk the same way. Robin reminds me of Bonnie or Jen Jelinek a bit--I think it's mostly because she looks like them. But, moral of the story: they are all wonderful.

Ethan, our new professor-type guy, is good too. I think we've seen him more in social settings than academic settings, but that's okay (It's "independent" study after all). We went out with him and some of the Petersons to a country club on Friday--played volleyball and drank the two for beers and such. We played lots of volleyball actually, which was tons of fun, but got a lot harder the darker it got (and the drunker most of us got). Met Ethan's brothers and Mike's daughter.

Saturday most of the group went back to the country club, but I stayed around camp and lolled and read and wrote. I'm reading a ton on this trip, currently "The World According to Garp" (which I have paraphrased for the title to this entry). Loving it.

Sunday we went back to the country club *again*; this time it was the "Christmas Fair." Not sure I'm okay with anything being labeled Christmas before Thanksgiving, or when it's so hot out you have to find shade and a cold drink, but it was fun. Got some earrings and presents for people, saw Santa and a circus act, and read a lot.

Monday was a day of interesting data collection and we returned to the puppies. It was the best Nov 16 I've had in a while. Hope everyone made it through it well. M.M.H. Always and forever.

Now I am officially going to be late for lunch! Love to you all!

1 comment: